The Director of Product Development is responsible for supporting the company’s development efforts with creation of new products and improvement on current products through proper formulation and experimentation. This position will also supervise a team of food scientists and technicians, manage small- and large-scale production runs, interface with ingredient suppliers, co-manufacturers, R&D teams, and customers.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Create BMC ingredient-based meat analogs for sampling.
- Work with customers to help develop new applications for BMC mycelium ingredients and provide support to R&D departments.
- Lead technical formulation, specification development, data collection, and procedures implementation.
- Conduct design, and plan plant-scale up trials for later stage production.
- Create detailed reports and records of experiments, formulas, and focus group results.
- Work closely with customer R&D teams to effectively utilize BMC ingredients and create custom products for them.
- Coordinate and communicate product development tasks with other departments.
- Collaborate with suppliers and vendors to effectively source materials and services.
- Oversee in-house production runs.
- Coordinate requests for product samples.
- Conduct routine sample preparation and analysis in compliance with applicable protocols, methods/SOPs.
- Collaborate with external labs to conduct analytical as well as nutritional testing as needed.
- Ensure compliance with SOPs, regulatory and food safety GMPs.
- Keep up to date on food trends and new ingredients and applications.
- Operate various types of processing and cooking equipment.
- Perform other duties supporting the Product Development team as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in culinary arts, biology, chemistry, food science, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years working in the food industry in a leadership role, preferably leading product development and/or food production.
- In-depth knowledge of meat and meat-analogue products.
- A history of being an effective, detailed, communicative, and passionate person and are proven in your ability to create and deliver quality work.
- Frequent after hours and weekend availability.
- Proficient in Google Suite.
- Extremely collaborative and able to communicate and provide feedback.
- Advanced technical writing skills with experience writing food safety and quality-related policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Experience with SOPs, GMPs, SQF, ISO, FDA, USDA, FSIS, FSMA, PCQI, HACCP, and/or GFSI preferred.
- Experience implementing and organizing scalable systems.
- Adaptable and shows flexibility in approach to changing situations.
- Excellent analytical teamwork, verbal and written communication skills.
- Act responsibly with confidential matters.
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks and meet multiple deadlines throughout the day.
- Able to perform the duties of the job description with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must provide proof of identification and eligibility to work in the United States of America.
- Work is primarily performed in a development lab setting. Work environment is fast-paced with unique challenges faced daily.
- Work requires the use of fine motor skills, standing for extended periods of time, reaching and twisting motions and lifting 50 pounds.
As part of the BMC team, you will have the opportunity to explore innovative techniques, approaches and ideas combining the future of food and sustainable agriculture. We can’t wait to change the world with you!
The Better Meat Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.