The Better Meat Co. (BMC) is a sustainable food tech startup based in Sacramento, California. Well-funded and partnered with major food companies like Hormel Foods, we’ve built and are operating North America’s largest mycelium biomass fermentation facility, advancing our patented technology to create the most sustainable food future for our planet.
Under the direction of the Senior Engineer, the Plant Technician 1 will be responsible for executing research and manufacturing operations. These operations include interfacing with equipment, instrumentation, computer control systems, laboratory systems and in-process testing according to standard operating procedures and batch protocol. The Plant Technician 1 will be accountable for safe operations and recognizing and informing Plant Technicians 2 and 3 and/or lead engineers when production problems arise.
- Perform operations prior to, during, and after production, including setup, operating, cleaning, maintaining and troubleshooting equipment such as liquid prep tanks, pasteurization equipment, process vessels, boilers, chillers, air compressors, forklifts, and other plant equipment.
- Follow all standard operating procedures to faithfully execute batch protocols, perform plant start-ups and shut-downs, use process instrumentation and software to operate process equipment, collect and test samples on all product and in-process streams using analytical equipment and record data and information in run summary sheets.
- Ensure continuity and safety in operations of pilot plant scale equipment and related instrumentation through adhering to safety procedures and maintaining area to safety / cleanliness standards.
- Assist with post-production activities such as packaging, testing and sampling, and handling products.
- Help complete preventative maintenance on equipment and make repairs as required.
- Recognize and notify Plant Technicians 2 and 3 of any production problems and document any deviations in operation from intended performance.
- Troubleshoot process issues as necessary per the direction of the Senior Engineer or Plant Technicians 2 and 3.
- Complete required processing and production documentation and create reports as needed.
- Assist with maintaining a clean and safe work space in the warehouse and processing areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- Experience in a related field (brewery operations, fermentation operations, plant and equipment maintenance), ideally with prior relevant experience and mechanical aptitude.
- Able to operate large-scale plant equipment, including forklift.
- Able to work in an aseptic manner with sterile technique as required by operations.
- Able to follow standard operating procedures and handle chemicals.
- Able to operate basic laboratory analytical equipment.
- Able to keep accurate and timely logs of data and process values.
- Good problem solving and troubleshooting skills with critical thinking and reasoning.
- Able to work both individually and within a team.
- Can work with minimal supervision to take direction on multiple process operations.
- Effective oral and written communication skills to interact efficiently with supervisors and team members.
- Flexibility in schedule to work outside of normal working hours and weekends as the process demands is required.
- Adept computer skills.
- Can lift 50 lbs. and walk/stand for long periods of time.
- Able to handle chemicals such as acids, bases, solvents and powders.
- Able to push/pull large equipment such as portable tanks.
- Able to climb up and down ladders and stairs.
The Better Meat Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 - $24.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
All team members are required to be fully vaccinated. Yolo County requires face masks indoors.
Work Location: One location