The Better Meat Co. (BMC) is a sustainable food tech startup based in Sacramento, California. Well-funded and partnered with major food companies like Hormel Foods, we’ve built and are operating North America’s largest mycelium biomass fermentation facility, advancing our patented technology to create the most sustainable food future for our planet.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Research, the Research Associate will work collaboratively with the team to develop and improve fermentation processes at the bench scale. You will be responsible for the continual advancement of research & development, conducting experiments, record-keeping, assisting with general maintenance of laboratory hygiene, material preparation, and required operational preparation on a daily basis.
- Participate with critical thinking, planning and execution of experiments and research projects.
- Generate high quality data from microbial growth experiments and data analysis. Communicate and discuss results.
- Contribute to creating insights from experimental data.
- Set up, operate, and turn over laboratory fermentations and associated equipment in a dynamic research environment.
- Perform tests and assays on samples, prepare media for lab experiments and bioreactors.
- Assist in general lab duties such as solution preparation, cleaning, organization and maintenance.
- Develop and contribute to scientific and data-driven culture of research, problem-solving, and decision-making.
Qualifications and skills
- B.S./B.A./M.Sc in Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, or a related field with 2+ years of work experience in microbiology and/or fermentation.
- Experience working with filamentous fungi and bioreactors is highly preferred.
- A good understanding of microbial physiology, metabolism and fermentation is a plus.
- Experience in microbiological research, aseptic technique, and cultivation of microorganisms.
- Familiarity with statistical-guided experimental design and analysis (e.g. DoE).
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Proactive, innovative, and technically savvy. Demonstrated attitude of purposely identifying areas of improvement and acting to deliver change.
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment and handling dynamic priorities and timelines. A self-driven individual who desires the fast pace and tight knit collaboration of a young company.
- Ability both to work alone and as part of a research team.
- A keen eye for details, organization, and good laboratory practices.
- Willingness and ability to occasionally work non-conventional hours.
- Must provide proof of identification and eligibility to work in the United States of America.
- Work is primarily performed in a development lab setting. Work environment is fast-paced with unique challenges faced daily.
- Work requires the use of fine motor skills, standing for extended periods of time, reaching and twisting motions and lifting 50 pounds.
As part of the BMC team, you will have the opportunity to explore innovative techniques, approaches and ideas combining the future of food and sustainable agriculture. We can’t wait to change the world with you!
The Better Meat Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.